Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Sister's Mutation

It has been happening slowly, subtle at first, then picking up speed. A gradual mutation from one entity into another. My persona has twisted and I have morphed into.....a mother!

No, I am not really a mom, I'm still a little too young for that (in my opinion anyways), but I have been acting like one more and more. I'm kinda tired tonight, so I'll keep the explanation quick. You see, this summer has been different than any of my other summers. Usually I head down to the Florida heat and bugs during the summer to visit my family down there, however, this year I decided to stay in Virginia. My Mom is working this summer for the first time in around fifteen years, and she desperately needed someone to watch the kids in the mornings. This is where yours truly comes in.

I figured, hey, they're just my siblings and my mom is willing to pay me, not much, but any additional income is welcome (college kid remember), so I can watch them in the mornings and work in the afternoon. Little did I know that I would be giving up my identity. I no longer feel like their big sister, I feel like their mom. I wake up and cook them breakfast, spend several hours doing various activities with my brother (My sister is withdrawn. It''s a phase.), cleaning the house, and cooking them lunch. I am also the one who has all of my siblings friends and parents phone numbers to contact them by. I am the one talking to all of the parents, setting things up, getting to know them, and making sure it is okay for my siblings to come over.

My mom comes home, I go to work, and when I get back the kids are usually still awake. So I then proceed to read my brother his bedtime story and say his prayers with him. After that I
go and talk to my sister and watch TV with her for a while, before she crashes and I do this blog. Do I sound more like a sister or a mom? I feel more like a mom. -sigh- Oh well, at least I'm getting in practice. So much for keeping it quick, huh?

~If there is any specific topic you would like me to write about, send me an e-mail at BriarBlack@hotmail.com~

3 comments:

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

At least you got to skip the diaper phase!! Yeah. A lot of those are mother responsibilities. But you'll still always be a sibling, not a parent, in their eyes anyway. Kudos for helping out the family!

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

Ummm... it's Saturday afternoon. Where's Friday's post?? You're slacking!! Just kidding. You're far more consistent than I.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of designing your own website?

Try www.esolz.net , a professional company which I came across while developing my website. Although I was skeptical about outsourcing my project to an offshore company, my mind was put at rest upon reviewing their proposal. It was clear that www.esolz.net is a team made up of solid web designers who provide quality, value, and support. From day one they consulted with me and involved me in every aspect of the site development.
They completed the project within the agreed 30 days and have exercised extreme diligence in maintaining the website since then.
Check out my website at www.ventureden.com

Ventureden is a global meeting place where entrepreneurs connect with angel investors and venture capitalists in order to secure startup or expansion funding for their business venture.
Entrepreneurs post their business idea or invention and instantly gain worldwide exposure.

Angel investors and venture capitalists leisurely explore investment opportunities, all from the comforts of office or home.

No matter if you?re an entrepreneur or investor, thanks to www.esolz.net our system is simple to use. Make www.esolz.net your outsourcing partner, you won?t regret it.

Regards,
Dan
www.ventureden.com
www.esolz.net

Name: Daniel Cimera
Address: 2116 Lynchmere ave.
Mississauga
Ontario
Canada
L5B 1W8

Phone: 416-741-6204

Email: salesinfo@ventureden.com