Monday, June 9, 2008

Books with time warps and homing beacons

Sorry about the brief post earlier guys, now here is the real one.

On a side note, before I go into the topic I had planned, my preteen sister found the blog I wrote about her. The scary thing is she didn't get mad. On the contrary when she read the part where I called her conniving, she just shrugged and said it's true and she's not going to deny it. My mind promptly exploded.

Have you ever sat down with a book you were particularly excited about reading before going to bed? You find a nice quite, comfortable location, and curl up ready to lose yourself for a few minutes in another world. Then suddenly you look up and it's one o'clock in the morning!! You stare at the book in horror, realizing it has claimed three hours of your life without your knowledge. Just leeched it away to who knows where.

I have had that happen to me on numerous occasions. I'll sit down to read and hours of my life disappear before my very eyes. Sometimes I think all good books come with time warping devices. Those and homing beacons. I know this is a cliche saying, however, it is applicable in this case: "Sometimes I swear I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my body." I misplace keys, papers, clothing, jewelry, my purse, but if there is a book I'm interested in reading I couldn't lose it if I wanted to. I'll walk into my room with the every intention of doing something productive, and it will be sitting there. Looking oh-so-harmless, ready to snatch away precious hours of my life as soon as I let my guard down. I'll be searching frantically for my keys, and while the keys have managed to vanish off the face of the planet, everywhere I turn there it is: the book. At times it even seems to follow me. Oh, my family members will claim that I just left it out the last time I was reading, but we know the truth. It's stalking it's reader, waiting for a chance to pull them back into it's time warp.

Luckily for me, I' m a fast reader, so the ever-present sirens call of the book, does not hold sway over me for long. I finish reading it relatively quickly and then run for my life, praying it doesn't have a sequel.

That's why I was so late putting up the latest post, a book had thrown it's time warp over me. See, it wasn't my fault, it was the book's fault. I promise. Really.

~If there is any specific topic you would like me to write about, send me an e-mail at BriarBlack@hotmail.com~

5 comments:

Nancy Janiola said...

Hello here Briar..

thanks for the comment you left for my post. I'm glad to hear from you. I have read some of your postings here as well.I like the simplicity of your blog. I used to have black template too before but needed a 3-columned one so i switched.
I hope to hear from you again...TC!

Chappo said...

I totally understand where your coming from, but for me that experience is one of good rather then evil. Is there nothing greater then being drawn into a book until it spits you out back into reality? I know that doesn't sound very inviting but I love the moments when a book makes the time fly.
I like the blog, its a nice change from a lot of other one's that I have viewed, generally all about how to make money off your blog...finally another blogger who just gives his opinion..and rambles a bit...gotta love rambling!

Nice work mate, my blog is http://chapposopinion.blogspot.com/
I'll look forward to following you in future, good luck.

Selerines said...

Hi friend... I am from India. Your blog looks pretty cool and nice. I am interested to share my link with you. Are you interested my friend? Please visit my “Selerines World” blog frequently and keep in touch there!!!! In that blog we will share our views about the international issues and problems. I hope you will accept my request. If you are interested, then please comment in my blog. Thank you!!!!

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

That is the exact reason I stopped reading (only temporarily, of course). When I get into a book or other project, I can't discipline myself enough to limit my time so I can accomplish all the other zillion things on my to-do list each day. My 4 kids don't tend to like me neglecting them for a book either...

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

By the way, I'm pretty sure that strangling someone is in direct violation of the Golden Rule... unless, of course, you prefer to be strangled yourself!