Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Vampires, Sleep, and Caffiene

This morning I was peacefully sleeping, curled up in my nice soft bed and catching up on some much-needed REM. Completely unaware that sometime during the night my whole family had apparently morphed into vampires. This morning I was woken up from my innocent dreaming by loud hammering noises. At first I thought that neighbors were working on their house again, since they always manage to do that when I'm trying to catch some shut-eye. Then I realized, the noises were coming from inside the house. By this point my curiosity has been peaked and going back to sleep is out of the question, so I drag myself out of bed and go to investigate. I proceed to find my mother in the living room, nailing a black bed comforter in front of the main window, a dark red blanket already covering the side one.

At this point I probably should have beat a hasty retreat back to my room, making a detour to pick up some garlic from the fridge. Instead, I stood there dumbfounded with my jaw hanging open. I suppose she felt my stunned gaze, since she turned around and noted that I was up awfully early for me. Like I could sleep with all of that hammering. She then begins to explain that the house was simply getting to warm during the day with all of that sun coming in through the windows. According to her, she does not want to put excess stress on our air condition. Yeah right. We know the truth. My mother has become a creature of the night and is turning our previously sunny home into her dark lair. That's the only rational explanation. Right?

Needless to say my now vampiric mother had cut in on my seriously needed sleep. So I stumble to the kitchen to make coffee. Yes folks, I am a coffee addict. I will proudly admit to that fact. I am also a sleep addict, but I never seem to be able to get enough of that. Sleep. Sometimes it seems like a distant illusion to me, for when I finally get to bed, more often than not I wind up lying awake with all of the day's activities running through my mind. I get so caught up thinking, that I forget to sleep, and when I finally begin dosing off it's really late, or early, as the case may be. Then when morning rolls around, I am inevitably woken up early by my sister getting up, our large black rat barking (previous post explains), or my vampire mother hammering. Obviously getting the recommended eight hours is out of the question.

That's when I turn to my best friend caffeine for help. It sustains me through the day, and makes mornings bearable. No I don't have a problem, and I'm not jumpy. Stop looking at me like that. Sleep is just a low-cost substitute for caffeine you know. Really. I'm leaving now.

P.S. Here is a link to a funny video that I thought suited this topic well. Enjoy.


~If there is any specific topic you would like me to post about, send me an e-mail at BriarBlack@hotmail.com~

1 comment:

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

Creeeeepyyyyy. It definitely would be a little weird to wake up to dark red and black shades over the windows. Too hot.... riiiiight.

Love the SCRUBS coffee video. And JD with a mustache. He definitely looks like an oldish man.

No coffee for me. Dr. Pepper's my fix. Okay. Bedtime for me. Keep one eye open when you sleep tonight!