Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Freelancing and Dog Groomers

Freelancing sounds simple doesn't it? You go online, look up writer wanted ads on various websites, apply and start writing, right? Wrong. Maybe it is that way for experienced freelancers, but for mere beginners such as myself, it is a slow and painful uphill battle. I keep going from freelancer website to freelancer website, looking through all of the advertisements, and applying to any that might be willing to except an unexperienced freelance writer, no matter how hard or redundant the job is. That is the only to get your foot in the door from what I can tell. I just need one person to give me a shot and then I'm in. From that point on I can claim experience and my likelihood for being hired shoots way up. However, for now, I will just keep plugging along and eventually things will work out, and that is the advise I will give any beginning freelancer.

On a less frustrating and more amusing subject, I, the unsuspecting college student come home for summer break and find that my family has decided to buy a dog. I do not like dogs. I do not like dogs at all. I am firmly a feline person, and I want a pet dog about as much as I want a pet slug, but I had no say in the matter. So home I come, and am promptly greeted by this little black ball of matted hair that thinks licking me to death is the proper manner of greeting. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Very quickly I realized that the dog has two distinct hobbies: barking all night and chewing up everything he can find.

After two days I suggested selling the mutt (or dropping him off on the nearest corner) and adopting a cat. My suggestion was quickly shot down. Well, despite my obvious dislike for the yapping creature, it fell to me to take the family pet for his first grooming. So I walked him to the PetSmart right up the road, handed them the dog and asked them to get rid of all of the matts the canine had collected. It seems my family is incapable of brushing his fur. What I left at the groomers was a small black furball, that looked similar to a black teddy bear. What I got back from the groomers was a large black rat. They had shaved his hair down to the skin, and he was quite possibly the ugliest thing I had ever seen. I tried to leave it there, explaining to my mother that he was likely to scare our neighbors. She forced me to bring him home nonetheless. Now we have a destructive and barking rat running through our house. Lucky me.

~If you have any specific topic you would like me to write about e-mail it to me at: BriarBlack@hotmail.com~

1 comment:

Lance and Jeana said...

How in the world did you find my blog??? I just set it up for my dad 20 minutes ago, and you found it and commented already!!

By the way, I like your style of writing. Very down to earth and personal.