Saturday, June 7, 2008

Music and Earthquakes

Have you ever been riding down the road, minding your own business, and sitting peacefully in your car, when suddenly you feel............ an earthquake?! The steering wheel begins to shake in your hands, noise is everywhere, and your car is vibrating. You look around panicked, watching for collapsing buildings, and then, all of a sudden you spot the real culprit: a small red sports car sitting next to you in traffic. The feelings of fear dissipate and two new emotions emerge, annoyance and wonder. How can such a small car blast out music at a volume that makes your teeth chatter? More importantly, why do these individuals feel the need to destroy our eardrums along with their own. I like my hearing the way it is, thank you.

The loosely defined music doesn't bother me all that much in and of itself. I can grit my teeth to keep them from breaking, and last the two minutes or so until the red light turns green. That I can handle. What I can't handle is the lyrics that go along with it. It seems to me that eight out of ten times I can distinguish words amongst the music, they seem to be very derogatory rap songs. I'm sorry, but I dislike having every cuss word under the sun blasted at me against my will. If I had wanted to hear that I would it playing on my station, which I don't. Not only are they blaring cuss words at me, but most of the songs are very degrading towards, well everybody, but especially women. Yeah, yeah, I know that the content of rap songs is an on-going debate about music today and I don't want to start that here. Personally, I believe you should be able to listen to whatever you want. However, just because you want to listen to it, doesn't me that everyone within a two-mile radius wants to listen to it as well. Save your eardrums and turn down the volume.

I do occasionally hear the random country or pop song playing while I'm ducking for cover in my car, and that's not a problem for me. As a general rule, the lyrics to those songs won't be cussing me out while I'm trying to have a good day, so I can let it roll of my back, and even in the rarest of moments bob my head to the beat.

Now, my rant is over and I have about five minutes to post this before I miss my midnight deadline. Like I said in my first post, I am hell bent and glory bound to get at least one post up before midnight every day. Talk to you tomorrow.

~If there is any specific topic you would like me to write about, send me an e-mail at BriarBlack@hotmail.com~

1 comment:

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

LOVE it! That's exactly what I was thinking when I suggested music! Yeah, I don't mind the more peaceful or fun types of music being blared for the few seconds or even minutes I'm exposed to it. But, like you, I take offense to being cursed at and degraded against my will. And sometimes even turning up my own radio still doesn't drown it out! Nice work.